A Market-Leading Global Infrastructure Practice
Bracewell has one of the leading global infrastructure practices in the world. Our team of infrastructure lawyers is consistently ranked in the top tiers in Chambers and Legal 500, and our public and project finance teams can consistently be found at the top of the North American league tables. In 2020, IJ Global ranked us #15 for North America Infrastructure Legal Advisor by value and #18 for Power Infrastructure Finance Legal Advisor by value. Our public finance team also ranked nationally in the top 15 in Refinitiv’s 2020 analysis.
Our infrastructure lawyers offer a comprehensive platform to advise stakeholders on both private and public infrastructure projects. We are experienced in representing sponsors, developers, suppliers, lenders, and government entities in every phase of an infrastructure project, including bidding and contracting, siting and permitting, engineering, procurement and construction, operation and maintenance, financing, and refinancing, and technology.
Energy Infrastructure Projects
Our lawyers draw on their strengths as one of the largest dedicated energy teams in the world to provide cutting-edge advice on complex energy infrastructure projects, from long-haul oil and gas pipelines in the United States to utility-scale solar power plants in Europe and the Middle East. We have advised Equinor on various matters related to its Empire Wind Offshore Wind Farm; Fotowatio Renewable Ventures in the development of a utility-scale storage project to be constructed and operated by Tesla in the UK; and Marubeni and Total Solar in the development and implementation of the first utility-scale renewables IPP in Qatar.
We also have extensive experience at every stage of social infrastructure projects, including the creation of public-private partnerships, or P3s, between local governments and the private sector to facilitate the development or redevelopment of arts, hospitality, medical, sports, and other infrastructure developments. For example, we represented Edgemoor-Star American Judicial Partners in the development of a modern courthouse in Howard County, Maryland, through an innovative P3 arrangement (Best Social Infrastructure Project and Best Social Infrastructure of the Year, 2019 P3 Awards). Our infrastructure lawyers also played a leading role in the development of the Texas Medical Center, Texas Rangers Stadium, Museum of Fine Arts Houston, and the Toyota Field and STAR Soccer Complex in San Antonio.
Our energy and infrastructure lawyers work alongside our public finance and transactional tax teams in the Energy-as-a-Service (EaaS) sector, an emerging solution primarily for not-for-profit institutions, including hospitals and universities, that seek to manage their infrastructure without diverting attention and resources away from their core missions.
We represent not-for-profit institutions in a wide variety of EaaS transactions, including complex concession arrangements, where we analyze the legal and commercial risks of the EaaS structure for our not-for-profit clients, ensure proper integration of the EaaS structure with their existing financing structures and optimize the EaaS structure from the federal, state and local income tax perspective of our clients.
Global Recognition for Excellence
We work on cutting-edge transactions, which consistently receive awards from IJ Global and Project Finance International. We are the only firm to be named Infrastructure and Energy Projects Team of the Year more than once at the annual Middle East Awards (2017, 2018, 2021). Our project development and finance lawyers and practice also receive top recognitions from Chambers, Legal 500 and other leading legal publications.
- Chambers Global – Africa-wide Projects & Energy; Middle East-wide Projects & Energy; UK Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Electricity Transactional; USA Oil & Gas Transactional; USA Projects
- Chambers UK – UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK-wide Projects
- Chambers USA – Nationwide Electricity Transactional; Nationwide Oil & Gas Transactional; Nationwide Projects: Oil & Gas; Nationwide Projects: Power & Renewables: Transactional; Nationwide Projects: PPP
- IFLR1000 – UK Project Development: Oil & Gas (Tier 1); UK Project Development: Power; UK Project Finance; US Project Development: Oil & Gas; US Project Development: Power; US Project Finance
- Legal 500 EMEA – UAE Infrastructure and Projects
- Legal 500 UK – Emerging Markets; Oil & Gas; Power
- Legal 500 US – Project Finance: Advice to Lenders; Project Finance: Advice to Sponsors; Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power; Energy Transactions: Conventional Power; Energy Transactions: Oil & Gas
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers – National Energy Law (Tier 1); National Oil & Gas Law (Tier 1); National Project Finance Law (Tier 1); National Public Finance Law (Tier 1); Austin Energy Law (Tier 1); Austin Public Finance Law (Tier 1); Austin Water Law (Tier 1); Dallas/Fort Worth Public Finance Law (Tier 1); Houston Energy Law (Tier 1); Houston Natural Resources Law (Tier 1); Houston Oil & Gas Law (Tier 1); Houston Project Finance Law (Tier 1); Houston Public Finance Law (Tier 1); New York Energy Law (Tier 1); Washington, DC Public Finance Law
The team is creative, thorough, and provides strategic advice.
Chambers USA, 2022
We play a leading role in market-leading infrastructure projects throughout the United States, Latin America, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
- Acciona Agua-led consortium in its bid for Al Wakra & Wukair 150,000-300,000 integrated sewage treatment plants in Doha
- Alcazar Energy Partners on construction and implementation matters in respect of the Al Rajef and Shobak wind projects in Jordan
- Alcazar Energy Partners, as bidder, and EBRD, as lender, on the 30 MW/60 MwH energy storage project in Jordan — the first utility-scale, stand-alone, project financed energy storage project in the MENA region
- Alcazar Energy Partners in the project financing for wind and solar projects with an aggregate capacity of 100 MW being procured pursuant to the Egypt Feed-in-Tariff Program
- Alcazar Energy Partners in connection with its project financing, including drafting and negotiating EPC and O&M contracts and related contracts, of four 50 MW solar projects in Egypt being procured in Round 2 of the Renewable Energy Feed-in-Tariff Program – 2017 Global Multicultural Deal of the Year, Project Finance International
- Alcazar Energy Partners on the 1.8 GW Benban Solar Park in Egypt – 2017 Global MLA Deal of the Year, PFI Awards
- Alcoa Power Generating Inc. in the sale of four hydroelectric power plants with an aggregate capacity of 215 MW located on the Yadkin River in North Carolina to an affiliate of Cube Hydro Partners, LLC
- Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp., as agent, and certain affiliates serving as its counsel to APUC, as lenders, on a long-term financing to a subsidiary of Abengoa Water that holds a 20 percent interest in the Vista Ridge P3 water project near San Antonio, Texas