Energy Private Equity Powerhouse
Bracewell has a long history advising on private equity transactions, most notably within the energy sector. We represent sophisticated sponsors and their portfolios in a range of transactions. We draw on the skills and expertise of lawyers in our corporate, finance, project finance, tax, environmental, regulatory and antitrust practices to support the needs of clients at every state of the investment life cycle.
Our clients — which include Bluescape Resources, Brookfield Infrastructure Partners, Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board, Carnelian Energy Capital, Denham Capital, Global Infrastructure Partners, HPS, La Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec, Maitlin Patterson, Perella Weinberg and Rockland Capital — have sophisticated understandings of the industries in which they operate. They expect the same from their legal advisors.
We draw on our strengths as a leading global energy law firm to advise private equity clients on oil and gas, power and renewables and infrastructure investments. Our team — which includes former private equity veterans and nationally ranked transactional, finance and regulatory lawyers — understands the importance of strategic legal and business insight in managing risk and enhancing returns. This effectively positions us to help private equity investors and investment funds take advantage of the opportunities presented by the energy transition.
Global Recognition for Excellence
Our broad energy and finance platforms are widely recognized for excellence around the world, including in the key practices needed to support sophisticated private equity transactions.
- Chambers Global – Africa-wide Projects & Energy; Middle East-wide Projects & Energy; UK Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Electricity Regulatory & Litigation; USA Electricity Transactional; USA Oil & Gas Regulatory & Litigation (Band 1); USA Oil & Gas Transactional; USA Projects
- Chambers UK – UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK-wide Projects
- Chambers USA – Nationwide Electricity Regulatory & Litigation; Nationwide Electricity Transactional; Nationwide Oil & Gas Regulatory & Litigation (Band 1); Nationwide Oil & Gas Transactional; Nationwide Projects: Oil & Gas; Nationwide Projects: Power & Renewables: Transactional; Texas Banking & Finance (Band 1); Texas Corporate/M&A
- IFLR1000 – UK Project Development: Oil & Gas (Tier 1); UK Bank Lending: Borrower Side; UK Bank Lending: Lender Side; UK M&A; UK Project Development: Power; UK Project Finance; US Banking; US M&A, US Project Development: Oil & Gas; US Project Development: Power; US Project Finance
- Legal 500 UK – Bank Lending: Investment Grade Debt and Syndicated Loans; Emerging Markets; Oil & Gas; Power
- Legal 500 US – Capital Markets Debt: Advice to Issuers; Commercial Lending: Advice to Borrowers; Commercial Lending; Advice to Lenders; Project Finance: Advice to Lenders; Project Finance: Advice to Sponsors; Corporate; Government Relations; Energy Regulation: Conventional Power; Energy Regulation: Oil & Gas (Tier 1); Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power; Energy Transactions: Conventional Power; Energy Transactions: Oil & Gas
We have been involved in market-leading transactions and projects across multiple jurisdictions.
- Alinda Capital Partners, LLC in the sale of NorTex Midstream Partners, LLC, a company owned by funds managed by Alinda that own Texas gas storage facilities, to a subsidiary of Castleton Commodities International LLC
- Alinda Capital Partners, LLC and GE Energy Financial Services, Inc. in the $1.89 billion agreement to sell SourceGas Holdings LLC to Black Hills Corp.
- Apollo Investment Corporation and HPS Investment Partners as secured lenders in the Chapter 11 proceeding of Miller Energy Resources, Inc.
- ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC in the purchase of the FERC-regulated Trans-Union Pipeline from Entegra Power Group and related acquisition financing
- Arroyo Energy Investment Partners LLC in its acquisition of the Broad River Energy Center, a generation facility in South Carolina, from Energy Capital Partners
- Basalt Infrastructure Partners II LP in the acquisition of Detroit Renewable Energy LLC, an integrated renewable energy system comprised of Detroit Thermal, Detroit Renewable Power and Hamtramck Energy Services
- Bluescape Energy Partners-backed E&P portfolio companies, Arrow Rock and White Marlin, in a merger of equals with TPG Capital-backed E&P portfolio company, Petro Harvester, to form Rockall Energy
- Bluescape Resources Company LLC in its equity investment in Clean Line Energy Partners LLC