Firm of Choice for CCUS Projects and Transactions
Carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) is poised to play a central role in the energy transition, with companies and governments throughout the world announcing aggressive targets for net zero emissions that include the use of CCUS technology.
Bracewell is at the vanguard of policy, regulatory and legal developments related to CCUS projects and transactions. With one of the world’s largest cross-disciplinary energy teams, we have an unparalleled understanding of the myriad business issues facing carbon capture developers, investors and off-takers. We represent stakeholders in the energy, chemical and manufacturing industries in their efforts to transition to less carbon-intensive operations. We also help project sponsors, developers, and private equity and infrastructure funds navigate complex technology, transactional and regulatory structures.
Our global team includes lawyers with broad experience in the midstream and upstream oil and gas sectors, as well as in renewables and conventional power. This experience complements the firm’s strengths in project development and finance, corporate transactions, environmental strategies, energy regulatory, transactional tax and tax policy.
Our CCUS-related experience includes:
- carbon capture tax credits (45Q of the Internal Revenue Code), including advice on structures to effectively monetize such credits
- CCUS project development and finance, including the construction of pipeline infrastructure, large-scale natural gas and clean coal power plants, and enhanced oil recovery
- corporate transactions, including the negotiation of contracts involving sequestration and utilization
- federal and state environmental regulations, including advice on environmental impact analysis, permitting and compliance
- environmental, social and governance (ESG) strategies related to net zero emission targets and investments in CCUS technologies
- IP protection and patent prosecution, including advice related to carbon capture and storage, membrane separation and concentration, and absorption technologies
- public advocacy and outreach, including representing the interests of clients before Congress, federal departments and White House agencies on CCUS legislation, policy and regulations
Global Recognition for Excellence
Our lawyers are globally recognized for excellence, including in the United States, the United Kingdom and EMEA region, as well as in every practice area related to CCUS projects and transactions.
- Chambers Global – Africa-wide Projects & Energy; Middle East-wide Projects & Energy; UK Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border); USA Electricity Finance; USA Electricity Regulatory & Litigation; USA Electricity Transactional; USA Oil & Gas Regulatory & Litigation; USA Oil & Gas Transactional; USA Projects
- Chambers UK – UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; UK-wide Projects
- Chambers USA – Nationwide Electricity Regulatory & Litigation; Nationwide Electricity Transactional; Nationwide Environment; Nationwide Oil & Gas Regulatory & Litigation (Band 1); Nationwide Oil & Gas Transactional; Nationwide Projects: Oil & Gas; Nationwide Projects: Power & Renewables: Transactional; DC Environment; New York Tax; Texas Corporate/M&A; Texas Environment (Band 1); Texas Intellectual Property
- IFLR1000 – UK Project Development: Oil & Gas (Tier 1); UK M&A; UK Project Development: Power; UK Project Finance; US M&A, US Project Development: Oil & Gas; US Project Development: Power; US Project Finance
- Legal 500 EMEA – UAE Construction; UAE Infrastructure and Projects
- Legal 500 UK – Construction: Non-Contentious; Oil & Gas; Power
- Legal 500 US – Project Finance: Advice to Lenders; Project Finance: Advice to Sponsors; Corporate; Government Relations; Energy Regulation: Oil & Gas (Tier 1); Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power; Energy Transactions: Conventional Power; Energy Transactions: Oil & Gas; Environment Regulatory; Environment Transactional; M&A Large Deals; US Taxes: Non-contentious
“They understand the issues deeply and are able to craft effective strategies and responses.”
Chambers USA, 2019
We are involved in market-leading CCUS projects and transactions across multiple global jurisdictions.
- Harvest Midstream in a $1.125 billion acquisition from Williams Partners of assets in the Four Corners area, including a CO2 treating facility
- Hilcorp Energy on a hybrid upstream and midstream joint venture to utilize captured CO2 for an enhanced oil recovery project in Texas
- Navigator CO2 Ventures in the development of an industrial-scale carbon dioxide pipeline system of more than 1,200 miles of new carbon dioxide gathering and transportation pipelines across five Midwest states
- Storegga Geotechnologies in the foundation equity financing with Macquarie and subsequent equity financings with GIC, Mitsui, Macquarie, M&G and SNAM
- Storegga Geotechnologies on its acquisition of Pale Blue Dot Energy, the lead developer of one of the first carbon capture and storage projects in the UK
- Sysco Corporation in its $1 billion offering of sustainability bonds to fund renewable energy, energy efficiency, clean transportation and waste reduction projects
- Talos Low Carbon Solutions in the development of the Gulf Coast carbon capture and storage projects along the US Gulf Coast and Texas state waters in the Gulf of Mexico