Bracewell is known for excellence throughout the legal industry. Our practices and lawyers are recognized market leaders, as evident in some of the awards and rankings we’ve earned over the years.
ACC Outstanding Corporate Counsel Awards
- Bracewell and Crescent Real Estate LLC (Crescent) won the M&A Transaction of the Year Award at the 2021 DFW Corporate Counsel Awards for their work on Crescent’s acquisition of The Crescent®. The transaction was one of the largest commercial property transactions ever in the Dallas area.
- Bracewell and Prosperity Bank received the M&A Transaction of the Year Award at the 2020 Houston Outstanding Corporate Counsel Awards for their work on Prosperity’s $2.1 billion merger with LegacyTexas Financial Group. The transaction is the second largest bank merger in Texas history.
- Bracewell and Pier 1 Imports won the Business Litigation of the Year Award at the 2019 Dallas-Fort Worth Corporate Counsel Awards. We successfully defended the retailer and its executives in a federal class-action lawsuit.
The American Lawyer
- Jane Macon and Danielle Varnell were named South Trailblazers in 2022.
- Bracewell ranked #11 nationally in the 2021 Summer Associates Survey, earning perfect scores at the firm-wide level for Associate/Summer Associate Interactions and Accuracy of Firm Self-Portrayal.
- Bracewell ranked #24 nationally in the 2021 Midlevel Associates Survey.
- Benchmark Litigation recognized seven Bracewell LLP lawyers for excellence in litigation in its 2023 edition:
- Litigation Stars – Bradley J. Benoit – Texas General Commercial Litigation; US (National) General Commercial Litigation; Stephen B. Crain – Texas Energy; Texas Intellectual Property; Texas White-Collar Crime; US (National) Energy; US (National) Intellectual Property; US (National) White-Collar Crime; and Amy Karff Halevy – Texas Labor & Employment; US (National) Labor & Employment
- Future Stars – Jeff Oldham – Texas Appellate; US (National) Appellate
- 40 & Under Hot List – South – Jonathon K. Hance – Texas General Commercial Litigation; Texas Intellectual Property; US (National) Commercial Litigation; US (National) Intellectual Property
Chambers and Partners
- Bracewell’s London office received 11 practice and individual rankings in energy, finance, projects and disputes in Chambers UK 2023. For the seventh year in a row, Jason Fox earned a Band 1 ranking in Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas. Alistair Calvert and Eimear Murphy earned “Up and Coming” rankings in UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes and UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas, respectively, for the second consecutive year.
- Bracewell earned 104 practice and individual rankings in Chambers USA 2022. We were ranked Band 1 for Nationwide Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation) for the eighth year in a row; Band 1 for Texas Banking & Finance for the 15th year in a row; and Band 1 for Texas Environment for the sixth year in a row. In addition, 16 lawyers were ranked as Band 1, Senior Statespersons or Eminent Practitioners: Jeffrey B. Andrews, Texas Technology & Outsourcing; Gregory M. Bopp, Texas Tax; Sara Burgin, Texas Environment; Todd W. Eckland, Nationwide Electricity (Finance); Mark C. Evans, Texas Banking & Finance; J. Clifford Gunter, General Commercial Litigation: Houston & Surrounds; Warren W. Harris, Texas Appellate; Catherine Hood, Nationwide Electricity (Finance); Wilson G. Jones, Texas Healthcare; Mark K. Lewis, Nationwide Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation); Catherine P. McCarthy, Nationwide Electricity (Regulatory & Litigation); Vincent E. Morgan, Texas Insurance; G. Alan Rafte, Nationwide Oil & Gas (Transactional); J. Anthony Terrell, Nationwide Electricity (Finance);Timothy A. Wilkins, Texas Environment; and William A. Wood III, Texas: Bankruptcy/Restructuring.
- Bracewell has been ranked Band 1 for USA Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation) in Chambers Global for eight consecutive years (2015-2022). In addition, the firm was ranked Band 1 in USA: Energy: Electricity (Finance). In 2022, we earned 16 practice rankings and 26 individual rankings, including Band 1 rankings for Todd W. Eckland, USA: Energy: Electricity (Finance); Jason Fox, UK: Energy & Natural Resources: Oil & Gas; Catherine Hood, USA: Energy: Electricity (Finance); Mark K. Lewis, USA: Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation); Catherine P. McCarthy, USA: Energy: Electricity (Regulatory & Litigation); G. Alan Rafte, USA: Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional); J. Anthony Terrell, USA: Energy: Electricity (Finance); and Christopher R. Williams, UAE: Corporate/Commercial & Commercial Contracts.
- At the inaugural Chambers USA–Texas Awards in 2019, Bracewell was named Commercial Litigation Firm of the Year.
City & State New York
- Barbara S. Jones was named to City & State New York’s Law Power 100 List for 2022.
Connecticut Legal Awards
- Mark E. Dendinger was named a Game Changer at the 2020 Connecticut Legal Awards. He was one of four individuals recognized for making a difference within the legal industry by serving as a positive force for change.
Crain's New York Business
- Rachel B. Goldman was named a 2022 Notable Diverse Leader in Law by Crain’s New York Business in 2022.
- Benjamin J. Martin was named a 2021 Top Rising Star by The Deal.
Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards
- Danielle Garbien was named Energy, Natural Resources & Mining Lawyer of the Year at the 2022 Americas Women in Business Law Awards.
- The firm was named Best Firm for Women in Business Law – North America at the 2021 Americas Women in Business Law Awards. In addition, Danielle M. Varnell was named Energy, Natural Resources & Mining Lawyer of the Year.
- Bracewell was one of 10 finalists for Most Innovative Law Firm in North America for the Practice of Law at the 2021 FT Innovative Lawyers North America Awards. We were among the shortlisted firms in three categories:
- Innovation in Social Justice: We were recognized for our pro bono representation of The Trevor Project in its efforts to make 9-8-8 the National Suicide Prevention Hotline and to ensure that acutely at-risk groups, including LGBTQ+ youth, can access specialized services.
- Innovation in Sustainability and ESG: We were recognized for our representation of Resource Environmental Solutions in the negotiation and executive of a unique fixed-price, habitat restoration, maintenance and liability transfer agreement with Klamath River Renewal Corporation.
- Innovation in Rescue and Recovery: We were recognized for creating a first-time opportunity for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to rule before a producer’s bankruptcy filing prevented it from doing so because of automatic stay.
- In the 2019 FT Innovative Lawyers North America Report, Bracewell was recognized for innovation in two areas of business law:
- Technology and Data (Highly Commended): We were recognized for our innovative use of a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, or SCIF, in connection with the Michael Cohen privilege review.
- Diversity and Inclusion (Commended): We were commended for our leadership in developing the industry-leading Minute Mentoring® program, which has benefited thousands of young professionals since the program’s founding in 2009.
- In the 2019 FT Innovative Lawyers Europe Report, Bracewell was commended for its role in Neptune’s $3.9 acquisition of a majority stake in ENGIE E&P International S.A. in the Enabling Business and Transformation category.
- In the 2018 FT Innovative Lawyers North America Report, Bracewell was ranked #7 for Most Innovative Law Firm for Legal Expertise. We received four category recognitions:
- New Legal Standard (Standout): We were deemed a standout for our representation of Ergon Peru in the financing of three concession-type “investment agreements” for the installation of solar photovoltaic panels in certain off-grid locations.
- Dispute Resolution (Highly Commended): Our financial restructuring and environmental teams were honored for their role in advising Venoco in its restructuring.
- Strategy and Changing Behaviors (Highly Commended): We were recognized for launching an employee activation program that promotes shared ownership of brand communication.
- Collaboration (Commended): Bracewell’s Policy Resolution Group was recognized for its partnership with the National Brain Tumor Society in securing the passage of the STAR Act, which expanded federal funding and research into childhood cancer.
- Edward D. Krenik, Dee Martin and Scott H. Segal were named to The Hill’s 2021 list of top lobbyists in Washington, DC. This marks the 15th year that Segal has been recognized and the fifth year for Martin. Krenik has been recognized three times (2008, 2020 and 2021).
Houston Business Journal
- Three Bracewell partners have been honored as Women Who Mean Business: Constance Gall Rhebergen (2018), Kate H. Day (2019) and Stephanie Koo Song (2022).
- At the 2018 Landmark Awards, we won the Community Impact award for our role in the Star of Hope Cornerstone Community® real estate transaction.
- In the 2022 edition of IAM Patent 1000, we were recommended for patent prosecution work in Texas. In addition, three Bracewell lawyers were singled out for excellence in 2022: Brad Y. Chin, Texas Prosecution (fourth year in a row); Constance Gall Rhebergen, Texas Prosecution and Transactions (11th year in a row); and Douglas F. Stewart, Washington Litigation (eighth year in a row).
- Bracewell received 89 practice and individual rankings recognitions across the United States, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates in IFLR1000 2023.
- We received 22 national and practice rankings and 44 individual recognitions across the United States, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates in IFLR1000 2022.
- Bracewell received the Project Finance Deal of the Year award for its role in the Al Kharsaah solar photovoltaic independent power project in Qatar at the 2021 IFLR Middle East Awards.
- We received the Restructuring Deal of the Year at the 2021 IFLR Americas Awards for its role in the McDermott International Restructuring.
- Bracewell was named Texas Firm of the Year at the 2021 IFLR1000 United States Awards.
- Our role on the legal team that advised Seven Energy Group on its restructuring was named Restructuring Deal of the Year at the 2020 IFLR Sub-Saharan Africa Awards.
- At the 2018 Europe and Africa Awards, IJ Global recognized Neptune Energy Group’s acquisition of a majority stake in ENGIE E&P International S.A. (EPI) for $3.9 billion as the Oil & Gas Upstream Transaction of the Year.
- We were named a Law360 Texas Powerhouse in 2022.
- Five Bracewell lawyers have been named Law360 Risings Stars within the last five years: Patrick K. Johnson, Project Finance (2022); Jeris Diana Brunette, Banking & Finance (2021); Andrej Kormuth, Project Finance and Tom Swarbrick, Construction (2020); and Austin T. Lee for Energy (2018).
- Bracewell was honored as a 2020 Law360 Environmental Practice Group of the Year.
- In 2018, we were named a Law360 White Collar Practice Group of the Year.
- Bracewell has been recognized six times as an Energy Practice Group of the Year by Law360.
- We were named to Law360’s inaugural Litigation Powerhouse list in 2016.
- Four Bracewell lawyers have been named Law360 MVPs within the last five years: Kevin A. Ewing, Environment (2017); Oliver Irwin, Project Finance (2019); Robin J. Miles, Project Finance (2017); and Ann D. Navaro, Environment (2020).
- In Legal 500 UK 2023, we earned 35 practice and individual recommendations. For the third year in a row, Jason Fox was named to Legal 500’s Hall of Fame for Projects, Energy and Natural Resources – Oil & Gas. He was also named a Leading Individual in Finance: Emerging Markets. Adam Blythe, Projects, Energy and Natural Resources; Oliver Irwin, Projects, Energy and Natural Resources: Infrastructure; and Eimear Murphy, Finance: Emerging Markets were named Next Generation Partners.
- In Legal 500 EMEA 2022, Bracewell earned practice rankings in three categories: UAE: Construction; UAE: Infrastructure and Projects (Including Project Finance); and UAE: Commercial, Corporate and M&A. In addition, six Bracewell lawyers were recommended in their respective practice areas, including Andrej Kormuth, who was honored as a Next Generation Partner.
- In Legal 500 Latin America 2022, Bracewell was recognized as one of the leading international firms for projects and energy. Fernando J. Rodriguez Marin and Manuel Vera were recommended for their work in this area.
- In Legal 500 US 2022, Bracewell earned 28 practice rankings and 84 individual recognitions. Mark K. Lewis was honored as a Leading Lawyer in Energy Regulation: Oil and Gas for the fifth year in a row, and Timothy A. Wilkins was named a Leading Lawyer in Environment: Regulatory. G. Alan Rafte was named to Legal 500’s Hall of Fame for Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas. In addition, two partners were named Next Generation Partners across four categories: Michael W. Brooks – Energy Regulation: Oil and Gas; and Energy Regulation: Conventional Power; and Molly E. Butkus – Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas.
- The Policy Resolution Group’s Madam Policy podcast and our ongoing work with Minute Mentoring® were named finalists for innovations in diversity and inclusion at the 2022 Legalweek Leaders in Tech Law Awards.
- In the 2022 edition of Managing IP, five Bracewell lawyers were singled out for excellence: Brad Y. Chin – IP Star, United States (National) Patents; Patrick Connolly – Rising Star, United States (National) Intellectual Property; Constance Gall Rhebergen – IP Star, Texas Patents; United States (National) Patents; Doug Rommelmann – Notable Practitioner, Texas Patent Prosecution; United States (National) Patent Prosecution; Jared Schuettenhelm – Rising Star, Washington Intellectual Property; United States (National) Intellectual Property.
Middle East Legal Awards
- Bracewell was named a finalist for Infrastructure and Energy Projects Team of the Year at the 2022 Middle East Legal Awards. We have previously won this award in 2017, 2018 and 2021.
- Ade Mosuro has been named a finalist for the Private Practice Rising Star Award at the 2022 Middle East Legal Awards.
- Shayan Najib was named Most Promising Newcomer – Private Practice at the 2021 Middle East Awards.
National Association of Bond Lawyers
- In 2021, Paul S. Maco received the Frederick O. Kiel Distinguished Service Award.
The National Law Journal
- In 2021, Dee Martin was named a Crisis Leadership Trailblazer; in 2020, she was named a DC Trailblazer
National Law Review
- Our energy regulatory team was a recognized Go-To Thought Leader for Energy Law in 2019 and 2021.
- Bracewell’s Policy Resolution Group was recognized as a Go-To Thought Leader in Election and Legislative News for 2020.
The New York Law Journal
- Daniel S. Connolly and Barbara S. Jones were named Northeast Trailblazers in 2021. In addition, Jones was named a New York Trailblazer in 2019, and Connolly was named a New York Trailblazer in 2020.
- At the 2021 PFI Awards, Bracewell was recognized for its role in the successful financial closing of the Rabigh 300 MW solar photovoltaic IPP in Saudi Arabia, which was named Middle East & Africa ESG Platform Deal of the Year.
- At the 2019 P3 Awards, the Howard County Circuit Courthouse Project won the gold prize for Social Infrastructure Project of the Year. The firm, which was a finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year, represented Edgemoor-Star America Judicial Partners and its sponsors on the transaction.
- At the 2018 Petroleum Economist Awards, Bracewell was named Legal Services Provider of the Year. We also received this honor in 2015.
San Antonio Business Journal
- Victoria M. Garcia was named a 2022 Woman Who Leads in Legal Services.
- Two Bracewell lawyers have been honored as “40 Under 40” leaders by the San Antonio Business Journal: Summer B. Greathouse (2020) and Amber K. Dodds (2022).
Texas General Counsel Forum
- BMC Software’s trial victory in its long-running dispute with IBM has been named the Major Litigation of the Year at the 2022 Magna Stella Awards. Bracewell represented BMC in the litigation.
- Five Bracewell lawyers have been honored as Texas Trailblazers by Texas Lawyer: Stephen B. Crain (2019), Kate H. Day (2019), Victoria M. Garcia (2020), G. Alan Rafte (2019), Constance Gall Rhebergen (2020) and Barron F. Wallace (2020).
- Two Bracewell lawyers have won an On the Rise Award, which recognizes lawyers under the age of 40 who have wielded influence in their practice areas in Texas and beyond: Amber K. Dodds (2022), and Benjamin J. Martin (2021).
- Bracewell tied for second in the Real Estate Law Firm in Houston category in Texas Lawyer’s “Best of 2021” Guide.
- At the 2020 Texas Legal Excellence Awards, Jane H. Macon received a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- In 2017, Bracewell was named Large Law Firm Litigation Department of the Year by Texas Lawyer.
- The Times recognized Bracewell as one of the top 20 firms for energy and renewables work in its 2023 list of Best Law Firms.
- Jo En Low was named to the 2021 Women of the Energy Transition: The New Generation list.
Turnarounds & Workouts
- Bracewell was among the law firms, financial advisors and investment bankers honored for their role in Fieldwood Energy’s Chapter 11 restructuring, which was named one of Turnaround & Workout’s Successful Restructurings of 2021.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” and Best Lawyers in America
- More than 120 Bracewell lawyers were recognized for practice excellence in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Eight lawyers were honored as Lawyers of the Year: Jeffrey B. Andrews, Houston Technology Law Lawyer of the Year; Stephen L. Braga – Washington, DC Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year; Kevin D. Collins – Austin Environmental Litigation Lawyer of the Year; Richard C. Danysh – San Antonio Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year; Barbara S. Jones – New York Administrative/Regulatory Lawyer of the Year; Wilson G. Jones – Dallas Health Care Lawyer of the Year; Nancy C. LeGros – Houston Health Care Lawyer of the Year; and D. Kirk Morgan II – Washington, DC Oil and Gas Lawyer of the Year. In addition, 29 lawyers were named to the annual Ones to Watch list.
- Bracewell was named the 2022 Law Firm of the Year for Energy Law and the 2022 Law Firm of the Year for Oil & Gas Law. In addition, four lawyers were honored as Lawyers of the Year: W. Stephen Benesh, Austin Construction Litigation Lawyer of the Year; Jonathan K. Frels, Houston Public Finance Law Lawyer of the Year; W. James McAnelly III, Houston Energy Law Lawyer of the Year; and Charles H. Still Jr., Securities Regulation Lawyer of the Year. In addition, 21 Bracewell lawyers were named to the Ones to Watch list.
- In 2021, six lawyers were honored as Lawyers of the Year: Lance W. Behnke, Seattle Tax Lawyer of the Year; Victoria M. Garcia, San Antonio Immigration Lawyer of the Year; R. Joe Hull, Austin Tax Lawyer of the Year; James H. Kizziar, Jr., San Antonio Labor & Employment Lawyer of the Year; Aaron P. Roffwarg, Houston Real Estate Lawyer of the Year; and Douglas F. Stewart, Seattle Patent Litigation Lawyer of the Year. In addition, 15 lawyers were named to the inaugural Ones to Watch list.
- Bracewell was named the 2020 Law Firm of the Year for Oil & Gas Law. In addition, eight lawyers were honored as Lawyers of the Year: Jeffrey B. Andrews, Houston Technology Lawyer of the Year; Richard C. Danysh, San Antonio Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year; Dewey J. Gonsoulin, Jr., Houston Banking & Finance Lawyer of the Year; G. Alan Rafte, Houston Oil & Gas Lawyer of the Year; Douglas F. Stewart, Seattle Intellectual Property Litigation Lawyer of the Year. Timothy A. Wilkins, Austin Environment Litigation Lawyer of the Year; and William A. Wood, III, Houston Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Lawyer of the Year.