A Leader in International Arbitration
Our international arbitration and dispute resolution team provides trusted advice and vigorous representation for both investment and international commercial disputes covering every continent.
We work with commercial party clients and sovereigns across the globe. Our lawyers have extensive experience handling our clients’ complex matters, tenaciously advancing their positions and getting the results our clients seek in their high-stakes, cross-border disputes, including international arbitration dispute resolution, international commercial arbitration and investor-state/investment arbitration.
Our lawyers are qualified in common law and civil law systems, speak multiple languages and operate from offices in New York, London, Dubai and across the United States.
We have significant experience under multiple substantive laws in arbitral fora under the rules of all major international arbitration institutions, particularly including the ICC, ICSID, AAA/ICDR, LCIA, SIAC, UNCITRAL and DIS. Our lawyers also hold leadership roles with these institutions, playing a key role in the shaping of arbitration rules and practice around the world.
Our advocacy is informed by the perspective of decision-makers. Many of our senior practitioners regularly serve as arbitrators appointed by the parties or arbitral institutions.
We work with original-language documents, interview witnesses in their native language and offer advice in the client’s language of choice. We are regularly in touch with leading expert witnesses in the field. We advise clients at every stage of the dispute resolution process, from the drafting of dispute resolution clauses to the initiation and conduct of proceedings, through to the enforcement of arbitral awards. We also advise on alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation and dispute boards, and can provide guidance on the best dispute resolution options in any given situation.
Global Recognition for Excellence
Our lawyers are consistently ranked as leaders in international arbitration and litigation in Chambers, Legal 500 and other legal publications.
- Chambers Global – UK Energy Sector (International & Cross Border); USA Energy Sector (International & Cross-Border)
- Chambers UK – UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources: Disputes
- Chambers USA – Oil & Gas Litigation
- Legal 500 UK ‒ London International Arbitration
- Legal 500 US ‒ Energy Litigation: Conventional Power; Energy Litigation: Oil and Gas
“The team is results oriented, has perfect knowledge of the energy sector, and is really pleasant to work with.”
Legal 500 UK, 2022
Cases With Impact
We have deep experience in numerous industries and specialized sectors and handle a broad range of matters in energy, infrastructure, finance and technology industries.
- AHG Industry GmbH & Co. KG, the first foreign direct investor in post-Saddam Hussein Iraq, in a $1 billion ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Iraq in relation to the seizure of cement and pipe plants
- Baker Hughes in a lawsuit filed by a German company regarding equipment installed in more than 25 large natural gas storage caverns throughout Germany
- Enerflex Energia in international arbitration proceedings regarding the collection of money allegedly belonging to Valerus Field Solutions for work performed on an EPC contract in Brazil
- LIXIL Corporation in multiple confidential DIS international arbitrations seeking recovery of €270 million from a consortium of 20 insurers resulting from LIXIL’s acquisition of the Grohe group of companies – this is one of the largest known W&I insurance fights, which the Financial Times has described as “a case that is likely to be closely watched by dealmakers”
- Vopak Terminal Deer Park in claims brought by its general contractor related to the construction of a new tank farm at its petrochemical facility along the Houston Ship Channel
Daniel S. Connolly
Managing Partner, New York