Our securities litigation team handles high-stakes securities matters and challenging “bet the company” cases. We are known for integrating a full range of skills across multiple areas of the law to develop efficient solutions to complex securities issues.
We represent public and private companies, underwriters and individuals in high-profile cases filed in both state and federal courts throughout the United States, including Delaware. We also defend companies, boards of directors, and individual executives and officers in actions alleging violations of securities laws at the state and federal levels.
Bracewell’s energy focus also extends to our securities litigation practice. Our litigation team works closely with our energy litigation lawyers to develop an inclusive approach to dispute resolution. We have represented Southern Copper Corporation, one of the world’s largest copper mining companies, in derivative suits, and Great Plains Energy Incorporated in connection with litigation surrounding its stock-for-stock merger of equals with Westar Energy. Our clients rely on our comprehensive strategies and interdisciplinary understanding to effectuate solutions that will have a positive and lasting impact.
Cases With Impact
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation’s board of directors in a shareholder derivative case arising out of the Macondo well explosion in the Gulf of Mexico
- The Bank of New York Mellon Trust Company, N.A. in the dismissal of all claims against client in several federal securities fraud lawsuits brought by unitholders of oil and gas royalty trusts against the client in its capacity as trustee
- The Bank of New York Mellon Trust Company, N. A. in obtaining the dismissal of a $10 million claim asserted by trust unit holders against BNY Trust Company, in its capacity as trustee, in a class action securities case in Colorado federal court
- The Bank of New York Mellon Trust Company, N. A. and its parent, The Bank of New York Mellon Corp., in a lawsuit in Houston state court brought by a trust’s successor trustee, asserting a $20 million claim for breach of fiduciary duties owed to trust unit holders and to the trust
- Private equity funds managed by Centrecourt Asset Management LLC in a shareholder and creditor derivative action against directors, outside counsel and affiliates for breach of fiduciary duty, corporate waste and tortious conduct
- Deutsche Bank AG in obtaining summary judgment and dismissal of all claims arising from plaintiffs’ unsuccessful participation in tax strategy
- FX Energy in defeating an injunction of the merger between FX Energy and Orlen Upstream Sp. z o.o., a Polish oil and gas company in widely-reported trial in Nevada state court
- Lufkin Industries Inc. and its board of directors in a shareholder derivative case arising out of a proposed merger transaction
- MetroCorp Bancshares, Inc. and its board of directors and officers in a shareholder class action arising out of a proposed merger transaction
- Pier 1 Imports, Inc. and its former CEO and CFO in a putative class action asserting claims of securities fraud — 2019 Business Litigation of the Year, Dallas-Fort Worth Outstanding Corporate Counsel Awards
- Prosperity Bancshares, Inc. in three federal court cases alleging violations of the Securities Exchange Act arising out of a $2.1 billion merger transaction with LegacyTexas Financial Group, Inc.
- Southern Copper Corporation and certain members of its board of directors in shareholder derivative class action complaint asserting alleged breach of contract and alleged breach of fiduciary duties
- Tallgrass Energy GP, LLC’s Conflicts Committee of its board of directors in four federal court cases alleging violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 arising out of a $3.5 billion merger transaction with affiliates of Blackstone Infrastructure Partners