Trusted Tax Counsel
Bracewell has one of the nation’s leading tax practices. Our tax lawyers, who are recognized in the top tiers in Chambers USA and Legal 500 US, have decades of experience providing federal, state and international tax advice on the structuring and documenting of large and complex business transactions, including public and private company mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, private equity investments, joint ventures and capital markets offerings. Our tax lawyers work closely with the firm’s transactional lawyers to provide comprehensive legal advice, with an eye toward optimizing business transactions and after-tax returns.
We are familiar with the tax considerations relevant to c-corporations, s-corporations, partnerships, master limited partnerships (MLPs), real estate investment trusts (REITs), trust and sovereign entities. Our tax team also provides advice on private investment funds, distressed situations/bankruptcies, corporate transactions and international transactions, particularly within the energy industry.
We regularly handle tax issues arising in transactions across the energy value chain, including upstream and midstream oil and gas, oil field services, power generation and transmission, carbon capture utilization and sequestration (CCUS) and renewable energy projects. Our understanding of the energy industry, including its unique tax issues and practices, makes us the go-to firm for Apache Corporation, HPS Investment Funds, Kinder Morgan, Phillips 66 and other industry leaders.
Recognition for Excellence
Our tax lawyers are nationally recognized by independent rankings organizations, including Chambers USA and Legal 500 US.
- Chambers USA – New York: Tax; Texas: Tax
- Legal 500 US – Taxes: Non-contentious
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers – National Tax Law (Tier 1), Austin Tax Law (Tier 1), Houston Tax Law (Tier 1), Seattle Tax Law (Tier 1)
Bracewell LLP has a very well-rounded team and brings the right human resources to every engagement.
Chambers USA, 2022
We provide tax advice on a range of complex transactions.
- Alinda Capital Partners, LLC and GE Energy Financial Services, Inc. in their $1.89 billion agreement to sell SourceGas Holdings LLC to Black Hills Corp.
- Apache Corporation in the creation of $3.5 billion midstream company with Kayne Anderson Acquisition Corp., forming the only publicly traded, pure-play Permian Basin midstream company that is a C-corporation
- Apache Corporation in its strategic partnership with EPIC Midstream Holdings, LP and Noble Energy Inc. to develop the EPIC Crude Oil Pipeline
- Apache Corporation and Apache Midstream LLC in the formation of SCM Alpine, LLC, which will own and operate a greenfield NGL y-grade pipeline
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in connection with the $450 million commitment by its wholly owned subsidiary, CPPIB Credit Investments, to LongPoint Minerals, LLC, an entity formed to buy minerals and royalties in the United States
- COG Operating LLC, a subsidiary of Concho Resources Inc., in expanding its existing joint venture with Solaris Water Midstream, LLC
- Competitive Power Ventures in the $1.3 billion equity investment by Osaka Gas USA, Axium Infrastructure and Harrison Street in CPV’s gas-fired Three Rivers Energy Center project in Illinois — 2020 US Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards
- Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank on the $4.65 billion financing of McDermott International, Inc.’s all-stock combination with Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V., consisting of a $2.26 billion senior secured term loan facility, a $1.0 billion senior secured revolving credit facility and a $1.39 billion senior secured letter of credit facility, as lead arranger
Timothy J. Urban