Bracewell is a pioneering firm on environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters. We have been at the forefront of legal and policy developments concerning climate change, social responsibility and corporate governance for over two decades, and we were among the first law firms to recognize the importance of these issues for our clients. We continue to play a leading role in advising our clients in these areas, as well as regularly engaging in dialogue with various industry and professional entities to facilitate understanding of the implications of ESG issues for businesses.
Businesses around the world face increasing scrutiny and pressure for transparency on climate risk, social justice, sustainability, workplace policies and governance issues. The focus on ESG impacts every industry, as investors, shareholders and regulators keep a close eye on how companies adapt to growing demands for accountability and sustainability.
We represent public and private companies, international corporations and institutions, banks and financial institutions, and investors and investment funds across a range of industries and sectors, including renewable and conventional energy, finance, construction, manufacturing, technology and transportation.
Our multidisciplinary global team includes lawyers experienced in international law, finance, securities and private equity issues, energy and infrastructure, environmental strategies, compliance and enforcement, and litigation and dispute resolution. We advise senior management, boards of directors and investors on complex issues concerning corporate governance, regulatory and enforcement, labor and employment, litigation, and environmental matters related to ESG strategies. This work includes:
- corporate securities and disclosure requirements, including ESG-related obligations under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the EU Non-Financial Reporting Directive, the UK Companies Act 2006, the California Supply Chain Act and the UK Modern Slavery Act
- litigation and dispute resolution, including derivative actions, securities class actions, environmental litigation, NCP claims and ESG fund disputes
- enforcement and investigations, including investigations brought by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, the US Department of Justice and the New York State Attorney General’s Office under the Martin Act regarding climate change disclosures
- energy transition strategies, including net zero emissions targets and investments in renewable technologies, such as hydrogen and carbon capture, utilization and sequestration projects
- environmental regulations, including matters relating to conflict minerals, climate change and federal land use
- public advocacy and outreach, including strategic communications and lobbying on behalf of energy companies and coalitions on infrastructure, climate change, renewable energy and environmental policy initiatives
- workforce and labor matters, including internal investigations and compliance programs
- crisis management, including prevention and response to environmental, workplace and cyber incidents
- compliance and risk management, including due diligence impact assessments
- sustainable supply chain management and procurement, including the incorporation of ESG considerations into contracts
- sustainable finance, including green loans and sustainability-linked loans
Global Recognition for Excellence
Bracewell is one of the few firms that offers a full suite of ESG capabilities. We are recognized internationally as a leading firm on ESG matters, including in the United States, UK and EMEA.
- Chambers Global – UK Energy Sector (International and Cross-Border); UK Oil & Gas; UAE Corporate/Commercial and Commercial Contracts; USA Electricity – Regulatory and Litigation; USA Energy Sector (International and Cross-Border); USA Oil & Gas – Regulatory and Litigation
- Chambers UK – UK-wide Oil & Gas; UK-wide Energy & Natural Resources Disputes
- Chambers USA – Nationwide Climate Change; Nationwide Electricity – Regulatory and Litigation; Nationwide Environment; Nationwide Oil & Gas – Regulatory and Litigation; DC Environment; Texas Banking & Finance; Texas Capital Markets; Texas Corporate/M&A; Texas Environment; Texas Labor & Employment; Texas Litigation; Texas Real Estate; Texas Technology & Outsourcing
- IFLR1000 – US Banking; US M&A; UK Bank Lending: Borrower Side and Lender Side; UK M&A
- Legal 500 US – Capital Markets: Debt; Commercial Lending; Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense; General Commercial Disputes; Energy: Renewables/Alternative Power; Energy Litigation: Conventional Power; Energy Litigation: Oil & Gas; Energy Regulation: Conventional Power; Energy Regulation: Oil & Gas; Environment: Litigation; Environment: Regulatory; Government Relations; Immigration; Outsourcing