Partner Catherine McCarthy and Associate Boris Shkuta discussed “Policy and Regulatory Issues” at the Transmission Business School in Chicago, Illinois on June 21, 2022 from 11:00 am - 12:00 pm CT and 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CT. Their session reviewed:
Electricity Restructuring Developments and Policy
- How the industry got to where it is today, the unbundling of the electric power industry, its new structures, and the emergence of transmission as a critically important new business;
- The new structures created by FERC Order Nos. 888, 889, 890 and 2000;
- The key RTO issues;
- FERC directions for electricity market and RTO development;
- Mmarket design issues;
- Order No. 888 reform; and
- Impacts of net metering activities mandated by the EPACT 2005, EISA 2007 and ARRA 2009.
The intensive four-and-a-half-day program gave an excellent understanding of electric operations and of the key issues in regional transmission organization (RTO) development, the criticality of interconnected transmission network reliability, emerging transmission business structures, the impacts and implications of legislative and regulatory initiatives, how electricity markets work, and the increasingly important role of distributed energy resources including storage.